Thursday, March 29, 2012

Run, Forrest, Run!

Each and every school year spanning from Grade 1 to Grade 8, my parents would buy me a new pair of sneakers for my growing feet. They were my 'new shoes' (a.k.a. only shoes) for the school year and I wore them every single day. There were Nikes, Brooks, Reeboks and Sketchers that I remember, and I thought each and every pair was the coolest thing ever. That is, until I went to high school and got my first pair of Converse and started buying vintage shoes at thrift store and transformed into a teenage Imelda Marcos. Since then, I never thought I'd return to the world of foam-soled comfort footwear but there has been a noticeable shift in the blogosphere towards incorporating athletic wear into fashion outfits and I'm diggin' it. Fashion and comfort don't have to be mutually exclusive, but I never thought I'd feel this way about any pair of shoes that weren't awkward, chunky ankle boots (my fave). Add a jolt of neon to the sneaker and I'm utterly convinced.
Some random awesome girl

New Balance even came out with a pair of shiny, holographic sneakers a few years ago and HOLY MOTHER where can I get  pair of those?!

7 comments:

e.rose said...

You know Imelda Marcos? :)

The style is totally weird. I mean weird! but I think we need to really explore things sometimes.. maybe.

loveandelegance.blogspot.com

Rita Unicornia said...

Arrrrrrrrrrgh, I love New Balance shoes! When I was 13 I had a pair of sneakers from New Balance, they were bleached blue and I used to hate them... Now I miss them! Oh, the ugly truth...

Low Couture said...

Being sporty - aka wearing sneakers - is so fun! I want to get a pair, but I feel like I'd be coming in last place - so to speak - after every other sneaker clad blogger. it helps that i can't afford anything new right now, anyway...

x Peter @ http://low--couture.blogspot.com

michelle said...

NO! This is not okay. I have always utterly loathed those god-awful pointy-tipped running shoes. I find Reebok and New Balance particularly hideous. As much as I'm all for bringing back fashions that remind me of my elementary school-days, these are the horrible "indoor" shoes that my teachers forced to swap my muddy Sorels for, and just conjure memories of the most unfortunate variety.

SymbioticLife said...

Comfy athletic shoes are my guilty pleasure. Stylish ones are even better.

Justalazymorning said...

love this ost, amazing!

Leah said...

I love the Imelda Marcos reference. Awesome post!